Saturday, August 14, 2010

First email home!!

Hello everyone!!! I'm sorry for this mass email but I've literally got ten minutes so I just wanted to let you know that all is going great and I love it here! When we arrived we went straight to the Peace Corps office in Santa Lucia. We've got a sweet view of some volcanos and the office is very pretty with lots of natural plants. We've gone through a bunch of safety and training sessions, the biggest challenge for PC Guate is security so they told us that the only time we're allowed to be "elevada" (absent minded) is when we're in our house with all the doors locked. But for all the hype about Guatemala City airport, it was totally fine, nothing scary at all...to be perfectly honest the airport and subway system of NYC scares me more haha.

So yea we stayed with a host family for three days and they were great! So much love! I know there are a lot of things that Guatemala doesn't have when compared to the US but let me tell you there's a whole lot of love here, everyone is so incredibly welcoming and friendly it's amazing. The first night my family asked me if I wanted to go to a bachelorette party! haha granted it's incredibly different here. We arrived at their friends house around 8 and it was a mix of guys and girls and we just played really cute silly games and absolutely no one drank, there wasn't even alcohol offered and everyone was having a blast. I was quite relieved by that b/c I was a little nervous about people drinking b/c I've heard so much about domestic violence and all that jazz but my family is pretty religious so it's a great home. Anyway, at the end of the party the man proposed to his wife and they were both crying and I almost started to cry it was so beautiful! Simple things in life! (I also burned my thumb on a match...Dad you gotta get these people onto some bic ligheters! We had to burn matches and give advice to the newly engaged couple...seeing how I've never been married I just stuck with the "loveis a beautiful thing" theme)

I went to church last night with my family...quite an interesting experience. It reminded me of those black churches where everyone is shouting and praising mid speech or prayer with lots of standing up and well I guess it's just a very active congregation. Despite the intresting cultural experience, the sermon spoke about love and also not to judge others because we're all guilty of something in our lives and then forgiveness.

What else, we demolished a barney pinata y esterday, pretty awesome seeing people beath the crap outta the big purple dinasoar

Today I get to go to my new host family's house in San Antonio Aguas Calientes (apparently the Aguas Caliente - hot water - is a misnomer b/c there is no hot water there haha). It's supposed to be an indigineous town about ten minutes from Antigua by bus. So curious! I hope there as awesome as my first host family. When I left this morning the kids had made me a bracelet and a little bag with my name on it (Carolina here) and a note that said "te queremos mucho". It brought tears to my eyes (haha once again I'm such a softy). I'm so blessed and happy to be here...it's going to be really rough after training is over and I'm sure I'll be really lonely but for now, I'm loving it! I know I'm where I'm supposed to be :)

I probably won't have internet access til Tuesday, if that, but know that I'm doing well!! If you don't hear from me it's not because I don't miss you dearly, it's just hard to get interenet and there a million things that need to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment