Sunday, October 10, 2010

Staying in Shape: Physical Edition

As a Peace Corps Trainee or Volunteer it can be incredibly difficult to stay in shape. As a female PCT or PCV, it's even harder to stay in shape. So for all of you soon to be trainees, know that you're going to have to make a conscious effort to stay in shape and sometimes get creative. When I was applying, this was definitely something I thought about so I figured I'd post a quick blog to give my summary of dietary and exercise issues.

Your diet is going to change dramatically. You're going to find yourself loving the most random combinations of foods you'd never thought you'd try. For example, chow mein sandwiches using white bread...for breakfast. It's good, try it! Is it good for you?...Probably not. Either way, it's offensive to not eat something that's served to you, so DO NOT be picky! Just go with it. I've eaten more fried chicken here than I have in my life (and I'm from the south!) and for some reason the idea of American fast food sounds like heaven (I hate fast food chains). But hey, when you're in a new country...your outlook changes sometimes. Many families and volunteers have told me that the women typically tend to gain weight and the men tend to lose weight. I'm happy to report that I haven't gained weight while I'm here and despite the massive amount of carbs that I've consumed I think the biggest reason why is because the food that we eat here is FRESH and the portions are regularly sized! That chicken you're eating...it was probably killed that same day or the day before. Those beans you're eating...they were picked last weak and they've been boiling on the stove for two days. What will get you here are the unhealthy snacks that are so cheap and so yummy in the tiendas such as sweet breads (no not that nasty meat kind of sweet bread, but literally bread that is sweet), chips, french fries, fried plantians, ice cream, etc. So good, So comforting...but try to indulge only once in a while.

But the point of this post is about exercise. I typically have three different types of exercise routines. The easiest for me to do involves a wonderful set of fitness bands called Rubber Banditz (www.rubberbanditz.com) which was developed by someone who needed to stay in shape while serving in the Peace Corps. These bands are a lifesaver as they come with all the needed gadgets and a booklet with exercises, routines, and a dvd with routine explanations. Apparently they also have workout and pilates online but since it takes an hour to load youtube I have yet to explore that route. I also run in my site. I didn't start running until I was able to observe what the community was like, if other people run, and where some good routes would be. When I have the strength to wake up early, I go running in the morning which is nice because not too many people are in the street to stare at my as I run past them. I always carry my cell phone with me and if I were super pilas I would also carry a stick with me to fend off the chuchos (street dogs that lie on every corner of the street). Thus far, the chuchos haven't given me a problem and I haven't ever felt insecure while running. I stick to streets that have people on them in case I get injured and my town fortunately has a large park and central streets so I stay in that main area. You get used to the stares after a while. I ONLY run when it's light outside. I would never run if the sun weren't up.

When it rains, when it's too cold, or when I don't get a chance to work out in the morning, I get creative and figure out ways to bounce around in my room. My thinking is, if your heart is pumping for at least thirty minutes that should count as exercise. I actually draw upon exercises and routines that I learned way back in the day when I took kick boxing classes in high school. I tend to do things for a full song. So jumping jacks, running in place, side kicks, front and back kick combos, punching combos, side kicks without touching the ground for a minute alternating feet, ups and downs and mountain climbers are typically what take up a half an hour. Sometimes, if a song comes up on shuffle that I like to dance to, I'll alternate and do some easy dance combo that's pretty jumpy.It sounds pretty silly and I definitely felt a little self conscious when I first started bouncing around in my room but it definitely helps! The best part is that there are usually people outside of my room who can probably see me randomly jumping and kicking, so Lord knows what people in San Antonio think of the crazy gringa who jumps around in her room!

It's definitely worth staying active and in shape. If I ever find myself in a down mood, even if I don't think it will help, I ALWAYS feel better after I get my heart pumping for a little bit.

If anyone has questions about PCT life (not a PCV yet) and how to stay active, feel free to hit me up, I'd love to share!

3 comments:

  1. I lost tons of weight by using a product called Phentermine, it's very safe to use and I had ordered it from www.medsheaven.com I recommend this for anyone who wants to lose weight very fast, quickly and easily, best product I've ever tried, it works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete