Thursday, June 24, 2010

Reactions and should I be married?

It's been incredibly interesting to hear people's reactions to my Peace Corps news. I've classified them into a couple of groupings:

  1. The incredibly ecstatic, "this is going to be an amazing experience and I can't wait to visit you"
  2. The "oh wow, Peace Corps, that's pretty cool" but in their head they're wondering why the hell I'd live in a developing country for two years but do mention that they've heard there's a lot of violence and be careful
  3. The more blatant "so why are you going to do that?"
So to all of those in the 1 category...thanks for being excited with me!!

For those in category 2...I understand it's confusing and thanks for being open to trying to comprehend how incredibly awesome this next step is going to be. Every time I've been abroad it's been an incredibly amazing experience that truly impacts my life and how I see the world, this is just my way of exploring myself, this crazy thing called life, and new people! Also, yes I've heard there's violence in Guatemala, just like there's violence in every country in the world! I understand it's next to Mexico which is going through a lot right now, I also understand that Guatemala's civil war still has a lasting influence and the criminal justice system isn't fully developed. But I'm hoping with some common sense and a mindful eye on what I'm doing, how I'm acting, etc, I should be out of harm's way. I could get shot walking down the street in Durham just like I could get shot walking down the street in Guatemala. People fear the unknown, and unfortunately Latin America and Africa have a history of instability and violence but that does not mean that everywhere you go in those continents are war zones!

And for those in Category 3, I've developed a list of perfectly rational reasons for doing this: helps me advance in my job to work in an international setting, great network of people, and discounts on future education. (But I'm going to be honest, those three reasons may be what I'm telling you out loud, but are not the driving forces behind this decision).

Changing topics, one person suggested I wear a wedding band while I'm there. I'm seriously considering this and wondering if anyone has suggestions or thoughts. I have to admit that I'm concerned about men and unwanted/inappropriate behavior. I experienced this while in Tanzania and it still upsets me. I hate how some men try to cross lines even in a professional setting without any sort of flirtation or interest expressed on my part. This can happen in the States, but seems to especially be an issue when I'm traveling abroad. Not trying to sound like a victim, it just gets annoying. So any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. My sister studied abroad in Ecuador. She handled the unwanted invitation by being bitingly rude (which was difficult for her because she's a very sweet and passive person). She also said that a really good line to say is that your dad has to approve of any romantic interests before you get involved with any of them.

    Also, if it's someone in your village, take advantage of the gossip system and that guy will be so embarrassed once everyone knows about it, he'll never be bother you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth, that's a great idea, love the Dad line!

    ReplyDelete